As we follow Jesus through the Gospels, we find He ministered healing in many different situations. His compassion for the sick was constantly evident. Healing was a large part of His ministry.
- Mark 1:40,41 Then a leper came to Him, imploring Him, kneeling down to Him and saying to Him, "If You are willing, You can make me clean." And Jesus, moved with compassion, put out His hand and touched him, and said to him, "I am willing; be cleansed."
Healing was important to Jesus because He came to do the Father's will.
- Hebrews 10:7 Then I said, `Behold, I have come–in the volume of the book it is written of Me–to do Your will, O God.
As Jesus went about healing people, He was doing the will of the Father.
- Matthew 9:35 And Jesus went about all the cities and villages, teaching in their synagogues, preaching the gospel of the kingdom, and healing every sickness and every disease among the people.
The Holy Spirit
Healing is important to the Holy Spirit and part of the purpose for His anointing. In Luke, we read how the Holy
Spirit anointed Jesus to heal the brokenhearted.
- Luke 4:18 The Spirit of the Lord is upon Me, because He has anointed Me to preach the gospel to the poor. He has sent Me to heal the brokenhearted, to preach deliverance to the captives and recovery of sight to the blind, to set at liberty those who are oppressed.
He anointed Jesus to heal those oppressed by the devil.
- Acts 10:38 ... how God anointed Jesus of Nazareth with the Holy Spirit and with power, who went about doing good and healing all who were oppressed by the devil, for God was with Him.
Confirms the Word of God
Healing is important because it's the Lord's way of confirming His Word to a lost and dying world.
- Mark 16:20 And they went out and preached everywhere, the Lord working with them and confirming the word through the accompanying signs. Amen.
The world today needs Jesus. God has commissioned us to go everywhere with accompanying signs to confirm
His Word. Casting out demons and healing the sick will help open the eyes of people to the truth of the gospel.
Did Jesus Suffer in Vain?
If we don't minister healing to the sick, then some of the suffering of the stripes Jesus bore on His body was in vain.